Classic Fried Chicken
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Ready Time: 55 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3/4 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 lbs.) frying chicken, cut up
- OR 2 1/2 to 3 pounds chicken pieces
- 1/2 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- COMBINE flour, salt and pepper in paper or plastic bag. Add a few pieces of chicken at a time. Shake to coat.
- HEAT oil to 365ºF in electric skillet or on medium-high heat in large heavy skillet. Fry chicken 30 to 40 minutes without lowering heat. Turn once for even browning. Drain on paper towels.
- TIP For thicker crust, increase flour to 1 1/2 cups. Shake damp chicken in seasoned flour. Place on waxed paper. Let stand for 5 to 20 minutes before frying.
- SPICY FRIED CHICKEN: INCREASE pepper to 1/2 teaspoon. Combine pepper with 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard. Rub on chicken before step 1. Substitute 2 1/4 teaspoons garlic salt, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon celery salt for 1 teaspoon salt. Combine with flour in step 1 and proceed as directed above.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe), Calories 640 (Calories from Fat 370), Total Fat 42g (Saturated Fat 11g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 175mg, Sodium 740mg, Total Carbohydrate 18g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 0g), Protein 45g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 2%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.