Classic Fried Chicken
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Ready Time: 55 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3/4 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 lbs.) frying chicken, cut up
- OR 2 1/2 to 3 pounds chicken pieces
- 1/2 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- COMBINE flour, salt and pepper in paper or plastic bag. Add a few pieces of chicken at a time. Shake to coat.
- HEAT oil to 365ºF in electric skillet or on medium-high heat in large heavy skillet. Fry chicken 30 to 40 minutes without lowering heat. Turn once for even browning. Drain on paper towels.
- TIP For thicker crust, increase flour to 1 1/2 cups. Shake damp chicken in seasoned flour. Place on waxed paper. Let stand for 5 to 20 minutes before frying.
- SPICY FRIED CHICKEN: INCREASE pepper to 1/2 teaspoon. Combine pepper with 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard. Rub on chicken before step 1. Substitute 2 1/4 teaspoons garlic salt, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon celery salt for 1 teaspoon salt. Combine with flour in step 1 and proceed as directed above.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 cupcake of 18), Calories 410 (Calories from Fat 160), Total Fat 19g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 60mg, Sodium 200mg, Total Carbohydrate 59g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 48g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.