Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Surprises
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 2 dozen
- 1 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, plus additional for topping
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Jif® Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/3 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Smucker's® Concord Grape Jelly
- COMBINE flour, 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, baking soda and salt in large bowl; cut in peanut butter and shortening, using pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- COMBINE milk, egg yolk and vanilla extract in small bowl; beat with fork until blended. Add to flour mixture. Transfer mixture to an electric mixer; beat at low speed until well blended. Divide dough in half. Wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- HEAT oven to 350ºF.
- ROLL each half of dough between sheets of plastic wrap to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with 2 1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place half the cut-outs 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Place about 1/2 measuring teaspoon jelly in center of each. Top with remaining cutouts. Press edges with fork. Pierce top several times with toothpick. Sprinkle tops of cookies lightly with sugar.
- Bake 10 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle again with sugar. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheets; transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/24 1 sandwich), Calories 110 (Calories from Fat 50), Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 75mg, Total Carbohydrate 13g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 6g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.