Country Fried Chicken
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Ready Time: 60 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 lbs.) broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
- 1 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- COMBINE milk and egg in a small bowl; beat with fork until frothy. Combine flour, salt, pepper, paprika and poultry seasoning in resealable plastic bag.
- SHAKE chicken in seasoned flour to coat evenly. Dip into milk mixture. Shake chicken a second time in seasoned flour until thoroughly coated.
- HEAT shortening in electric or large heavy straight-sided frying pan until it reaches a temperature of 365ºF. Fry chicken uncovered until brown on bottom, about 10 to 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; turn chicken over. Cover; fry 15 minutes. Uncover; continue frying 5 to 10 minutes until chicken is crisp and instant-read thermometer reaches 165°F.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe), Calories 570 (Calories from Fat 290), Total Fat 32g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 160mg, Sodium 1010mg, Total Carbohydrate 24g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 1g), Protein 42g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.