Classic Yellow Cake
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 12 servings
- Pillsbury® Baking Spray with Flour
- 2 1/2 cups Pillsbury® Softasilk® Enriched & Bleached Cake Flour
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk, divided
- 2/3 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 2/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans or a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with no-stick baking spray with flour.
- COMBINE cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add 3/4 cup milk and shortening. Beat with electric mixer at medium speed 2 minutes. ADD eggs, 1/2 cup milk and vanilla. Beat 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
- BAKE 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 15 minutes. Remove cakes from pans to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost as desired.
- CUPCAKES: PREPARE batter as directed above. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost as desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 230 (Calories from Fat 110), Total Fat 13g (Saturated Fat 3.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 370mg, Total Carbohydrate 22g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 1g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 10%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.