Crispy Southern Fried Chicken
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 50 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 3/4 cups Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 (2 1/2 lb.) frying chicken, cut into pieces
- OR 2 1/2 pounds chicken pieces
- BEAT together egg, water and 1/4 cup oil in large bowl. Add sugar, salt and flour. Mix until smooth.
- HEAT remaining 1 1/2 cups oil to 360ºF in deep skillet. Dip chicken pieces, one piece at a time, into batter. Fry 20 to 30 minutes or until juices run clear when pierced with a fork (165ºF). Turn chicken often for even browning.
- TIP For spicier chicken, add 1 teaspoon paprika and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to batter.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe), Calories 750 (Calories from Fat 510), Total Fat 48g (Saturated Fat 11g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 195mg, Sodium 1310mg, Total Carbohydrate 20g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 2g), Protein 39g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 4%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.