Crisscross Coffee Cake
- Prep Time: 60 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 210 min
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 2 to 2 1/4 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour, divided
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- OR 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 large egg, beaten
- COMBINE 1 cup flour, yeast and salt in large bowl. Heat milk, water, 1/4 cup shortening and sugar in a saucepan over low heat just until shortening is melted, no higher than 130ºF. Add to dry ingredients. Beat about 2 minutes at medium speed or until smooth. Add egg and 1/2 cup flour. Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed. Beat in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- PLACE dough on a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic. Spray a large bowl with no-stick cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to bring oiled surface to top. Cover. Let rise in a warm place until double, about 1 hour.
- BLEND 2 tablespoons shortening, powdered sugar, salt, vanilla and water in small bowl at low speed, then beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- SPRAY a jelly roll pan with no-stick cooking spray. Punch down dough. Roll into a 12-x8-inch rectangle. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- SPREAD filling lengthwise down center of rectangle, about 2-inches from side edges. Sprinkle with nuts. Make about 12 slashes, each 2-inches long, down long sides of rectangle. Fold strips alternately over filling, herringbone fashion. Cover. Let rise until double, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Brush top with beaten egg. Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet and cool on rack.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of cake), Calories 340 (Calories from Fat 140), Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 3.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 260mg, Total Carbohydrate 44g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 18g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.