Pineapple Bran Muffins
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Ready Time: 40 min
- Yield: Makes 1 dozen muffins
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 cup bran flakes cereal
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple (juice packed), undrained
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, melted
- OR 1/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, melted
- 1 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Spray muffin cups with no-stick cooking spray.
- MIX bran, pineapple with juice, milk and egg in small bowl. Let stand 3 minutes to soften bran. Stir in melted shortening.
- COMBINE flour, sugar, pecans, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Make well in center of mixture. Add bran mixture. Stir only until dry ingredients are moistened. Fill prepared muffin cups about 2/3 full.
- BAKE 23 to 27 minutes, or until deep golden brown.
- HONEY BRAN MUFFINS: FOLLOW recipe above, increasing milk to 1 1/4 cups. Omit pineapple and juice. Melt 1/4 cup honey with shortening. Omit sugar and pecans.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 muffin), Calories 120 (Calories from Fat 60), Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 200mg, Total Carbohydrate 15g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 12g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 8%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.