Double-Braided Saffron Bread
This is a fun recipe to make with your kids, particularly if you're not too concerned about the appearance of the braided loaf. While you're braiding one loaf, the kids can make the other—with your help. What a great way to spend some quality time together and have some fun.
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 2 loaves
- 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup very warm water, 120 to 130°F
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 4 large eggs
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- MIX 1 1/4 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt in large bowl. Stir in oil. Combine warm water and saffron in small bowl. Stir until saffron is dissolved. Add to flour mixture. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- SEPARATE 1 egg; set yolk aside. Add egg white to flour mixture. Add remaining 3 eggs and 1/2 cup flour. Beat at medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- KNEAD dough on lightly-floured surface 8 to 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic, adding additional flour as necessary. Place in lightly-oiled large mixing bowl. Turn dough over to coat both sides with oil. Cover; let rise in warm place 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled.
- SPRAY baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray. Set aside. Punch down dough. Place on lightly-floured surface. Set aside two-thirds of dough. Divide remaining dough into 6 equal portions. Roll each portion with floured fingers into a 10-inch long piece. Braid 3 pieces together. Braid remaining 3 pieces. Set aside.
- DIVIDE remaining dough into 6 equal portions. Roll each portion with floured fingers into a 12-inch long piece. Braid 3 pieces together. Braid remaining 3 pieces. For each loaf, center 1 small braid on top of 1 large braid. Press ends together to seal. Place both loaves on prepared baking sheet.
- BLEND reserved egg yolk and cold water in small bowl. Brush on both loaves. Cover; let rise in warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled.
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Bake loaves 20 to 25 minutes, or until loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped lightly. Cool on wire rack.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 480 (Calories from Fat 310), Total Fat 34g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 80mg, Sodium 250mg, Total Carbohydrate 38g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 20g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.