Delicious White Bread
- Prep Time: 35 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Ready Time: 240 min
- Yield: 2 Loaves
- 5 to 6 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- OR 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- COMBINE 2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast; mix well. Heat water and oil in small saucepan until very warm (120° to 130°F). Add warm liquid to flour mixture; blend at low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in additional 2 1/2 to 3 cups flour until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl.
- KNEAD in 1/2 to 1 cup flour on floured surface until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Spray a large bowl with no-stick cooking spray. Place dough in prepared bowl; cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place (80° to 85°F) until light and doubled in size, 45 to 60 minutes.
- SPRAY two 8 x 4 or 9 x 5-inch loaf pans with no-stick cooking spray. Punch down dough several times to remove all air bubbles. Divide dough in half; shape into loaves. Place in prepared pans. Cover; let rise in warm place until dough fills pans and tops of loaves are about 1 inch above pan edges, 30 to 35 minutes.
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Uncover dough. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped. Immediately remove from pans. Place on wire racks. Brush with melted butter. Let cool.
- BREADSTICKS: After first rise time, punch down dough. Divide dough in half. Cut each half into 32 pieces; shape each into 8-inch long breadstick. Place on greased cookie sheets. Brush with beaten egg white; sprinkle with sesame seed. Cover; let rise in warm place about 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Bake at 400°F for about 14 minutes. Yield: 64 breadsticks
- BUTTER-TOPPED MINI-LOAVES: After first rise time, punch down dough. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a 7-inch oblong loaf; taper ends. Place loaves 3 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes. Make 1/4-inch-deep slit down center of each loaf. Drizzle each with 1 teaspoon melted butter. If desired, sprinkle with sesame seed or poppy seed. Bake at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped. Yield: 12 mini-loaves
- CINNAMON SWIRL BREAD: After first rise time, punch down dough. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into 14 x 7-inch rectangle. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle each with mixture of 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Starting with 7-inch side, roll up. Seal edges; place seam side down in greased loaf pans. Let rise and bake as directed above.
- HAMBURGER BUNS: After first rise time, punch down dough. Divide dough in half; shape each half into eight 2-inch balls. If desired, flatten slightly. Place on greased cookie sheets. Cover; let rise in warm place about 30 minutes. Bake at 400°F for about 15 minutes. Yield: 16 buns
- RAISIN BREAD: Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon with the salt and stir in 1 cup raisins after beating step. Continue as directed above.
High Altitude (above 3500 ft.):
- No change.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of loaf), Calories 140 (Calories from Fat 25), Total Fat 3g (Saturated Fat 0.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 200mg, Total Carbohydrate 24g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 2g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.