- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 1 loaf
- 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package fast-acting yeast
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup Pillsbury BEST® Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg yolk
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed, cumin, or dried dill
- COMBINE 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, brown sugar, salt and yeast in large bowl; mix well. Heat 1 cup water with butter in small saucepan until very warm (120 to 130°F). Add warm liquid and egg to flour mixture; blend at low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- STIR in whole wheat flour and an additional 1/4 to 3/4 cup all-purpose flour by hand until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl. Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rest 10 minutes.
- SPRAY cookie sheet with no-stick cooking spray. Knead dough on floured surface about 25 times until smooth. Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Roll each part into 12-inch rope. Braid 3 ropes together; seal ends. Place on prepared cookie sheet. Cover; let rise in warm place (80 to 85°F) until light and doubled in size, 30 to 40 minutes.
- HEAT oven to 375°F. Combine 1 tablespoon water and egg yolk in small bowl; beat well. In separate small bowl, combine all seed mixture ingredients; mix well. Brush braid with egg yolk mixture; sprinkle with seed mixture.
- BAKE 20 to 25 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Immediately remove from cookie sheet; cool on wire rack 1 hour or until completely cooled.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of loaf), Calories 130 (Calories from Fat 30), Total Fat 3.5g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 40mg, Sodium 220mg, Total Carbohydrate 22g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 2g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.