Portobello and Maple Pork Stew
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 105 min
- Ready Time: 110 min
- Yield: 6
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- OR Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray, if using slow cooker
- 2 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped yellow onions
- 1/4 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 (0.87 to 1.2 oz.) package brown gravy mix
- 1/3 cup Hungry Jack® Butter Flavored Syrup
- 2 cups water
- 1 (8 oz.) package sliced baby portobello mushrooms or white mushrooms
- Hot cooked egg noodles (optional)
- HEAT oil in Dutch Oven over medium high heat until shimmering. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown meat in two batches. Remove to plate. Cook and stir onions, adding more oil if necessary, just until soft. Return meat to pot.
- STIR in flour, sage, gravy mix, syrup and water. Bring stew to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Stir in mushrooms, continuing to simmer until meat is fork-tender. Stir to combine gravy and serve over hot cooked egg noodles, if desired.
SLOW COOKER METHOD
- OMIT the oil. Instead, spray slow cooker with no-stick cooking spray.
- SEASON meat cubes with salt and pepper. Place meat, onions, flour, sage, gravy mix, syrup, water and mushrooms in slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- COVER and cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours or until meat is fork-tender. Stir to combine gravy. Serve over hot cooked egg noodles, if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/6), Calories 510 (Calories from Fat 210), Total Fat 23g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 170mg, Sodium 250mg, Total Carbohydrate 23g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 13g), Protein 51g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 2%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.