Granny's Apple-Date Cake with Warm Caramel-Bacon Topping
Submitted by Larry E. of Charlotte, North Carolina 2007 Crisco® Country Favorites Cook-Off Finalist
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Ready Time: 140 min
- Yield: 15 servings
- Pillsbury® Baking Spray with Flour
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 medium to large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped dates
- Juice and grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 3 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Smucker's® Caramel Flavored Topping
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, lightly roasted
- 1/4 cup crisp-cooked bacon, finely crumbled
- HEAT oven to 325°F. Spray a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- STIR together sugar, baking soda, apple pie spice and salt in a large bowl. Add shortening, eggs and vanilla, beating until smooth.
- STIR in apples, dates, lemon juice and zest, blending just until well coated; add flour until evenly combined. Spread batter in prepared baking dish.
- BAKE in center of oven 55 to 65 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in baking pan on a cooling rack.
- SPOON caramel topping into small saucepan over low heat; stir until warm. Add pecans and bacon, continuing to stir just until heated through.
- CUT cake into 15 squares; drizzle each serving with topping.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/15 of cake), Calories 510 (Calories from Fat 160), Total Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 400mg, Total Carbohydrate 84g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 61g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 4%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.