Mexican Chocolate Crunch Brownies
Valerie Schucht, Glastonbury, CT, Bake-Off® Contest 43, 2008 Finalist
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 34 min
- Ready Time: 180 min
- Yield: 24 brownies
- 1 box (12.8 oz) Cinnamon Toast Crunch® cereal (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1 (18.4 oz.) box Pillsbury® Family Size Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix
- 2/3 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Eggland's Best eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon-sugar (from 3.62-oz jar)*
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch pan with CRISCO® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray. Place cereal in food processor bowl with metal blade (crush cereal in 2 batches if necessary). Cover; process until finely crushed (about 4 cups). Or place cereal in large resealable food-storage plastic bag; crush with rolling pin.
- In large bowl, stir butter and corn syrup until well blended. Add crushed cereal; mix thoroughly. Press evenly in pan.
- In large bowl, make brownie mix as directed on box, using oil, water, and eggs and adding cinnamon. Stir in 2/3 cup of the chocolate chips. Pour brownie batter over cereal mixture. Sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup chocolate chips evenly over batter.
- Bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar evenly over brownies. Bake 14 to 18 minutes longer or until brownies are set when lightly touched in center. Cool 10 minutes; loosen edges but do no cut. Cool completely, about 2 hours. For brownies, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows.
- TIP *Three tablespoons sugar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon can be substituted for the cinnamon sugar.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft)
- In step 2, bake crust 5 to 8 minutes. Make brownie mix following High Altitude directions on box.
Bake-Off is a registered trademark of General Mills ©2008
®Land O’ Lakes is a registered trademark of Land O’ Lakes, Inc.
Eggland's Best is a registered trademark of Eggland's Best, Inc.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 of 24 brownies), Calories 250 (Calories from Fat 110), Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 3.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 25mg, Sodium 210mg, Total Carbohydrate 34g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 21g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 8%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.