Caramel Chai Bars
Kerstin Sinkevicius, Somerville, MA, Bake-Off® Contest 43, 2008 Finalist
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 34 min
- Ready Time: 160 min
- Yield: 16 bars
- 1 roll (16.5 oz) Pillsbury® Create 'n Bake® refrigerated sugar cookies
- 1 package (1.1 oz) chai tea latte mix (from 8.8-oz box)
- 1/2 cup Smucker's® Sundae Syrup™ Caramel Flavored Syrup
- 2 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Fisher® Chef's Naturals® Fine Ground Walnuts
- Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, knead cookie dough and dry chai mix until well blended.
- Break up 3/4 of the chai dough in ungreased 8-inch square pan. Press dough evenly in bottom of pan. (If dough is sticky, use floured fingers.) Bake 12 to 17 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix caramel syrup and flour. In another small bowl, knead remaining 1/4 of chai dough and the walnuts.
- Gently drizzle caramel mixture evenly over partially baked crust. Crumble walnut chai dough evenly over caramel.
- Bake 22 to 29 minutes longer or until top is golden brown and firm to the touch and caramel is bubbly. Cool completely, about 1 hour 30 minutes. For bars, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft)
- In step 2, bake 15 to 20 minutes. In step 5, bake 29 to 32 minutes.
Bake-Off is a registered trademark of General Mills ©2008
Fisher and Chef’s Naturals are registered trademarks of John B. Sanfilippo & Son, Inc., Elgin, IL 60123-7820
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 bar, 1/16 of recipe), Calories 190 (Calories from Fat 80), Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 1.5g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 140mg, Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 17g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.