Cranberry Snowball Cake
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Ready Time: 300 min
- Yield: 16 to 24 servings
- 1 package Pillsbury® Sugar Free Yellow Cake Mix
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1/3 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, plus additional for garnish, if desired
- 2 cups frozen sliced strawberries
- 2 (4 serving size) packages sugar free cranberry flavor gelatin
- No calorie sweetener, to taste*
- 1 (15 oz.) can Pillsbury® Sugar Free Vanilla Frosting, divided
- 1 (8 oz.) container frozen sugar free whipped topping, thawed
- Coarse decorator sugar (optional)
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
- HEAT oven to 325°F. Prepare cake mix according to package directions using 1 cup water, oil and eggs. Spread batter into a 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake 34 to 38 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.
- COMBINE remaining 2 cups water and cranberries in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until cranberries are tender. Add gelatin, stirring 2 minutes or until dissolved. Stir in frozen strawberries and sweetener. Mash with potato masher to break up fruit. Chill until very thick and almost set, about 1 hour.
- LINE a 4-quart bowl with plastic wrap. Cut cake into 48 equal-sized pieces. Stir gelatin mixture; spread 1/4 cup to coat plastic wrap in lower third of lined bowl. Randomly place 12 cake pieces in bowl, leaving a small space between cake pieces. Evenly spoon about 1 cup gelatin mixture over cake in bowl, allowing gelatin to seep between cake pieces. Repeat cake and gelatin layers three times, using remaining cake and gelatin mixture. Gently press down on surface to compact cake pieces and create a flat surface on top. Cover and chill at least 2 hours to set gelatin.
- INVERT cake onto serving platter; remove plastic wrap. Place 1/4 cup frosting in a small resealable plastic bag. Combine remaining frosting and whipped topping in medium bowl. Beat with electric mixer until well blended. Frost cake. Microwave remaining frosting in plastic bag on HIGH 5 seconds to warm slightly. Knead. Cut a very small hole in bottom corner of plastic bag. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle cake with coarse sugar, if desired. Garnish with cranberries and mint leaves to resemble holly, if desired.
- TIP * There are a variety of no-calorie sweeteners available. Each measures differently and provides a different level of sweetness. For this recipe we suggest using the sweetness equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/16), Calories 270 (Calories from Fat 110), Total Fat 15g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 2g), Cholesterol 40mg, Sodium 300mg, Total Carbohydrate 43g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 2g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 0%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.