Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Ready Time: 90 min
- Yield: 7 dozen cookies
- 1 1/2 sticks Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1 1/2 cups Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups (12 oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Beat shortening, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in large bowl at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
- COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt. Add gradually to creamed mixture at low speed. By hand, stir in oats, coconut, nuts and chocolate chips with spoon. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2-inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet.
- BAKE 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown and just set in center. Cool 1 minute on baking sheet. Place on cooling rack.
- CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES: Prepare dough as directed above, substituting 8 oz. coarsely chopped semi-sweet chocolate for chocolate chips. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 3-inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375°F 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Makes 3 dozen cookies.
- FESTIVE KID-SIZED COOKIES: Prepare dough as directed above omitting 1/2 cup sugar, semisweet chocolate chips and chopped nuts. Increase vanilla to 2 tablespoons. Stir 1 cup red and green candy-coated chocolate pieces and 1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds into prepared dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate if necessary for easier handling. Shape into 2-inch balls. Place 4-inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Press an additional 1/2 cup candy-coated chocolate pieces into balls to decorate tops of cookies. Bake at 350°F 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 2 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets. Makes 14 large cookies.
- PEANUT BUTTER CUP COOKIES: Prepare dough as directed above, substituting 4 (1.8 oz.) pkg. milk chocolate-covered peanut butter cups, cut into 1/4 to 1/2-inch pieces, for chocolate chips. Substitute 1/2 cup chopped peanuts for nuts. Bake as directed above. Makes 4 dozen cookies.
- CHOCOLATE-DRIZZLED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES: Prepare dough and bake as directed above. In small saucepan over low heat, melt an additional 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon shortening, stirring constantly. Drizzle over cooled cookies. Allow to set before storing. Makes 4 dozen cookies.
- CHOCOLATE-TOPPED COOKIE BARS: Prepare dough as directed above. Spread in ungreased 13x9-inch pan. Bake at 375°F 15 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown and center is set. Immediately sprinkle an additional 1 cup (6-oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips over top of bars. Let stand 5 minutes. Spread softened chocolate chips evenly over surface. Cool completely. Cut into 36 bars.
- STREUSEL-TOPPED COOKIE BARS: Prepare dough as directed above. Spread in ungreased 13x9-inch pan. In small bowl, combine 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. With fork, cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over dough in pan. Bake at 375°F 15 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown and center is set. Cool completely. Cut into 36 bars.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 cookie), Calories 120 (Calories from Fat 60), Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 40mg, Total Carbohydrate 14g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 9g), Protein 1g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.