Traditional Southern Fried Chicken
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Ready Time: 45 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2/3 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (3 lb.) package cut up broiler-fryer chicken (8 pieces)
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, or another variety of Crisco Oil for frying
- COMBINE flour, salt, pepper and paprika in large resealable plastic bag or shallow bowl.
- RINSE chicken pieces. Pat dry with paper towels. Add to flour mixture, two at a time, turning to coat completely. Let stand on wire rack 10 minutes to set coating.
- HEAT 1/2-inch deep oil to 350°F in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, uncovered, 8 minutes. Turn chicken. Cook an additional 8 to 10 minutes or until deep golden brown and internal temperature reaches 180°F, turning chicken during the last few minutes for even browning. Drain on paper towels.
- TIP TRADITIONAL BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN: Combine 3 cups buttermilk and 2 teaspoons salt in large resealable plastic bag. Rinse chicken pieces; add to bag. Seal bag and turn to coat chicken. Chill several hours or overnight, turning bag occasionally. Drain chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Prepare as instructed above, without rinsing chicken.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Calories 0 (Calories from Fat 0), Total Fat 0g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 0mg, Total Carbohydrate 0g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 0g), Protein 0g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 0%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.