Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Sauce
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Ready Time: 60 min
- Yield: 6 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 1 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- HEAT oven to 375ºF. Spray an 8-inch square or round cake pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE shortening, brown sugar and granulated sugar in bowl of electric mixer; beat at medium speed until well blended. Beat in egg, buttermilk and molasses until well blended.
- COMBINE flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl. Add to creamed mixture; mix well. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- BAKE 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on cooling rack. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
- COMBINE all sauce ingredients in small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Serve sauce over each slice of cake.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/6 of cake), Calories 350 (Calories from Fat 80), Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 240mg, Total Carbohydrate 63g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 43g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 8%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.