Extra Crispy Traditional Fried Chicken
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Ready Time: 50 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (3 pound) package cut up broiler-fryer chicken (8 pieces)
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, or another variety of Crisco Oil for frying
- COMBINE flour, salt, pepper and paprika in large resealable plastic bag or shallow bowl. Whisk eggs in a shallow medium bowl.
- RINSE chicken pieces. Pat dry with paper towels. Add to flour mixture, one to two at a time, turning to coat completely. Using tongs, dip in eggs to coat. Return to flour mixture, turning to coat completely. Let stand on wire rack 10 minutes to set coating.
- HEAT 1/2-inch deep oil to 350°F in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, uncovered, 8 minutes. Turn chicken. Cook an additional 8 to 10 minutes or until deep golden brown and internal temperature reaches 180°F, turning chicken during the last few minutes for even browning. Drain on paper towels.
- TIP EXTRA CRISPY BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN: Combine 3 cups buttermilk and 2 teaspoons salt in large resealable plastic bag. Rinse chicken pieces; add to bag. Seal bag and turn to coat chicken. Chill several hours or overnight, turning bag occasionally. Drain chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Prepare as instructed above, without rinsing chicken.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe), Calories 730 (Calories from Fat 390), Total Fat 45g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 280mg, Sodium 2150mg, Total Carbohydrate 28g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 0g), Protein 53g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 25%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.