- Prep Time: 60 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 12 empanadas
- 12 ounces ground sweet or hot Italian sausage
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, seeded, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 recipes prepared Empanada Dough, chilled
- 1 large egg (optional)
- 1 tablespoon milk (optional)
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil (optional)
- COOK and crumble sausage in large skillet over medium heat. Place in medium bowl. Stir in red pepper, marinara sauce, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes. Cool completely. Fold in cheeses just until blended.
- DIVIDE Empanada Dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each on lightly floured surface into 6-inch circle. Brush edges with water. Spoon 1/4 cup sausage mixture onto each circle. Fold dough in half to cover filling. Seal edges by pinching or pressing with fork.
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Beat egg and milk in small bowl with fork until foamy. Brush over empanadas. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
- HEAT 1 inch oil to 350°F in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook in batches, 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown, turning halfway through cooking time. Drain on paper towels. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Calories 0 (Calories from Fat 0), Total Fat 0g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 0mg, Total Carbohydrate 0g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 0g), Protein 0g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 0%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.