Turkey and Pear Empanadas
- Prep Time: 60 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 12 empanadas
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, plus additional for frying
- 2 pears, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups cubed smoked turkey breast
- 1 cup shredded Manchego cheese
- 2 recipes prepared Empanada Dough, chilled
- 1 large egg, beaten (optional)
- HEAT oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears, onion and sugar. Cook 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Stir in salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Remove from heat.
- STIR cream cheese in medium bowl until smooth. Stir in turkey and Manchego cheese until blended. Fold in pear mixture until blended. Cool completely.
- DIVIDE Empanada Dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each on lightly floured surface into 6-inch circle. Brush edges with water. Spoon 3 tablespoons turkey mixture onto each circle. Fold dough in half to cover filling. Seal edges by pinching or pressing with fork.
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Beat egg in small bowl with fork until foamy. Brush over empanadas. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
- HEAT 1 inch oil to 350°F in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook in batches, 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown, turning halfway through cooking time. Drain on paper towels. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 of 12 empanadas), Calories 380 (Calories from Fat 190), Total Fat 21g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 680mg, Total Carbohydrate 34g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 8g), Protein 13g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 8%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.