Mini Berry Fry Pies
- Prep Time: 60 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Ready Time: 150 min
- Yield: 1 dozen
- 3 2/3 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, diced
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2/3 to 1 cup ice cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups fresh berry combination, such as blueberries, raspberries and blackberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- For Dough: COMBINE flour, sugar, cornstarch and salt in large bowl. Cut butter and shortening into flour mixture, using a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some small pea-sized pieces remaining.
- ADD 1/4 cup ice water and vinegar to flour mixture. Stir with fork. Add additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, just until dough holds together firmly when pressed into a ball. Flatten ball into round disk. Wrap dough in plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes.
- For Filling: WHISK water, 1 cup sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan until cornstarch is dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Simmer 1 minute, or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, lemon juice and vanilla until butter is melted. Fold in berries. Cool completely.
- HEAT 1 inch oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat to 350°F. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each on lightly floured surface into 5-inch circle. Brush edges with water. Spoon 1/4 cup berry mixture onto center of each circle. Fold dough in half to cover filling. Seal edges by pressing with fork.
- COOK in batches in hot oil 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown, turning halfway through cooking time. Drain on paper towels. Stir together cinnamon and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Sprinkle over fry pies. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Calories 0 (Calories from Fat 0), Total Fat 0g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 0mg, Total Carbohydrate 0g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 0g), Protein 0g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 0%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.