New Orleans Beignets
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Ready Time: 60 min
- Yield: 20 beignets
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 large eggs
- Powdered sugar
- HEAT 2 or 3 inches oil to 365ºF in deep fryer or deep saucepan.
- COMBINE flour, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in small bowl.
- COMBINE milk, water, oil and lemon peel in medium saucepan. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Add flour mixture all at once. Beat by hand until mixture pulls away from side of pan and forms ball. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- ADD eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- DROP dough by tablespoonfuls into oil heated to 365ºF. Fry 3 or 4 at a time 4 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. Turn as needed for even browning. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 beignet), Calories 180 (Calories from Fat 120), Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 150mg, Total Carbohydrate 12g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 5g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.