Double Chocolate-Orange Scones
Michelle Gauer, Spicer, MN, Bake-Off® Contest 44, 2010 Finalist
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 18 min
- Ready Time: 75 min
- Yield: 12 scones
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup Hershey’s® baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold LAND O LAKES® Butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Smucker's® Sweet Orange Marmalade
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Hershey’s® mini chips semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar (turbinado sugar), if desired
- 2 ounces Hershey’s® semi-sweet baking chocolate or 1/3 cup Hershey’s® mini chips semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons Smucker's® Sweet Orange Marmalade
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line large cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper. In large bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Cut in 1/3 cup cold butter, using pastry blender or fork, until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- In small bowl, gently stir cream, 1/4 cup marmalade and vanilla until mixed. Make a well in center of crumb mixture; add cream mixture to well. Stir with fork until crumb mixture is moistened and dough is sticky. Gently stir in 1 cup mini chocolate chips. Form dough into a ball.
- On well floured surface, roll or pat dough into 9-inch round, 3/4 inch thick. Using knife dipped in flour, cut round into 12 wedges. Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake 14 to 18 minutes or until edges are set. Remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool 30 minutes.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave baking chocolate uncovered on High 30 seconds until softened; stir until smooth. Drizzle diagonally over scones.
- In small bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter and powdered sugar with fork until light and fluffy. Stir in 2 tablespoons marmalade. Serve with scones.
Bake-Off is a registered trademark of General Mills ©2010
®Land O’ Lakes is a registered trademark of Land O’ Lakes, Inc.
Hershey’s® is a registered trademark of The Hershey Company, Hershey, PA, 17033
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 scone of 12), Calories 420 (Calories from Fat 220), Total Fat 25g (Saturated Fat 15g, Trans Fat 0.5g), Cholesterol 50mg, Sodium 280mg, Total Carbohydrate 46g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 24g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 8%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.