Empanadas with Sweet Corn Filling
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Ready Time: 60 min
- Yield: 10 empanadas
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, plus additional for frying
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen and thawed corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (14 oz.) package frozen pastry dough disks for empanadas (10 disks)
- HEAT 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn and cook 2 minutes. Stir in flour and sugar. Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk and cream; stir in salt and nutmeg. Cook 3 minutes or until sauce is very thick. Let cool 15 minutes. Stir in ricotta cheese and cilantro.
- ROLL each pastry disk to a 5-inch circle on lightly floured surface. Brush edges with water. Spoon 2 tablespoons corn filling onto each circle. Fold dough in half to cover filling. Completely seal edges with tines of fork.
- HEAT 1-inch vegetable oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Fry empanadas in hot oil 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown, turning halfway through cooking time. Drain on paper towels. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 empanada), Calories 230 (Calories from Fat 120), Total Fat 13g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 2g), Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 470mg, Total Carbohydrate 24g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 6g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 8%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.