Espresso Shortbread Bars
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 13 min
- Ready Time: 300 min
- Yield: 4 dozen bars
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Medaglia d'Oro® Instant Espresso Coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1/3 cup Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® White Frosting
- OR 1/3 cup Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Chocolate Fudge Flavored Frosting
- BEAT brown sugar, shortening and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Dissolve instant espresso in vanilla in small cup. Add to shortening mixture, beating until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour and salt to shortening mixture, beating on low speed until well blended. Cover and chill 4 hours or overnight.
- HEAT oven to 325ºF. Coat baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. With fluted edge rotary cutter or pizza wheel, cut into 3 x 1-inch rectangles. Place on prepared baking sheet. Prick tops with fork. Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until bars are set. Cool 2 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- PLACE frosting in a small heavy-duty resealable plastic bag. Seal. Microwave on HIGH 10 seconds. Knead until smooth. Cut very small corner off bottom of bag. Drizzle very lightly over bars. Let stand until frosting is set or chill 5 minutes to set frosting.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (2 bars of 48), Calories 120 (Calories from Fat 60), Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 50mg, Total Carbohydrate 15g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 9g), Protein 1g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.