Falling Leaves Cake
- Prep Time: 60 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 12 servings
- 1 package Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme® Yellow Premium Cake Mix
- 2 (16 oz.) containers Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Vanilla Flavored Frosting
- 1 (16 oz.) container Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Milk Chocolate Flavored Frosting
- 1/4 cup butterscotch-flavored chips
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, divided
- New small craft brush
- 12 fresh organic lemon or rose leaves, from 2 to 4-inches in length
- 2 cardboard paper towel roll tubes
- Zester with fluter
- 1 large orange
- 2 kumquats, sliced
- BAKE cake in two 8-inch round pans according to package directions; cool completely. Place one cake layer on serving platter. Spread chocolate frosting on top of the cake layer and top with second cake layer. Carefully spread sides and top with vanilla frosting. Use the tip of a spatula to create swirls in the frosting.
- MAKE solid chocolate leaves by cutting each paper towel tube in half lengthwise to form trough; cut each half into four sections. Combine butterscotch chips with 1/2 teaspoon shortening in a microwave-safe bowl. Repeat with chocolate chips in second bowl. Microwave each on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 30 seconds; stir. Microwave at 15-second intervals, just until chips are melted. With leaf underside facing up, place a leaf into the concave side of a tube section. This creates a 3-dimensional or falling leaf appearance. Brush entire leaf underside with melted chocolate, being careful not to extend the chocolate over leaf edge. Refrigerate for 15 minutes between coats. Repeat with 2 additional coatings of chocolate, covering the leaves about 1/16-inch thick. Repeat on other leaves with melted butterscotch; this requires only 2 coats.
- MAKE variegated leaves by brushing leaf underside with several random strokes of melted butterscotch; refrigerate. Brush the entire underside with 2 additional coatings of melted chocolate.
- DECORATE the cake using a zester with a fluter to make strips of orange peel; twist peel around a pencil to form coil. Gently peel the leaf edges away from the chocolate all the way around the leaf for an easy release and minimal breakage. Arrange 7 to 9 leaves, orange peel and kumquat slices on cake; refrigerate until serving.
- NOTE: Organic, non-toxic leaves like lemon or rose leaves are available at your local florist.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 750 (Calories from Fat 290), Total Fat 32g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 6g), Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 520mg, Total Carbohydrate 112g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 71g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 8%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.