Featherlight Cheddar-Ranch Puffs
Aimee Hachigian-Gould Ulm, MT Bake-Off® Contest 44, 2010 Finalist
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 18 min
- Ready Time: 60 min
- Yield: 20 puffs
- 1 package (1/4 oz) active dry yeast (2 1/2 tsps.)
- 1/4 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
- 3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- OR Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (1 oz) ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 cup cold LAND O LAKES® Butter
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (8 medium)
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 1 pound bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper; spray paper with Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray. In small bowl, mix yeast and warm water; set aside.
- In large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and dressing mix. Cut in butter, using pastry blender or fork, until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- In small microwavable bowl, place onions. Cover with microwavable plastic wrap, folding back one side to vent; microwave on High 30 seconds. Cool slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add cheese and bacon to flour mixture; toss until well coated. Stir in yeast mixture, onions and buttermilk all at once until soft dough forms. Drop dough by 1/3 cupfuls 2 to 3 inches apart onto cookie sheets.
- Bake 14 to 18 minutes or until puffed and light golden brown. Serve warm with additional butter, if desired.
- TIP To substitute for buttermilk, place 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar in 2-cup glass measuring cup and add enough milk to measure 1 1/4 cups; let stand a few minutes.
Bake-Off is a registered trademark of General Mills ©2010
®Land O’ Lakes is a registered trademark of Land O’ Lakes, Inc.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 puff of 20), Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 110), Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 35mg, Sodium 580mg, Total Carbohydrate 17g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 1g), Protein 8g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 15%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.