Fresh Apple Pie
1st Place My Favorite Apple Pie Contest Nevada State Fair, 2000
- Prep Time: 0 min
- Cook Time: 0 min
- Ready Time: 0 min
- Yield: 1 pie
- 2-1/4 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 5 cups apples, sliced and pared
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- Measure flour, salt, and Crisco into mixing bowl. With pastry blender or two knives, cut in Crisco until mixture looks like coarse cornmeal. With a fork, stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until flour is moistened. On a lightly floured board, roll half the pastry 1/8-inch thick and about 1-1/2 inches larger than 10-inch pie plate. Fit circle into plate. Trim off overhanging edge.
- Roll other half of pastry 1/8 inch thick and fold in half. Cut several slits for steam to escape. Dampen edge of pastry in the pie plate. Place just rolled out half on filled pie and unfold pastry. Trim off extra edge leaving 1/2 inch overhanging. Fold edge of top pastry under edge of lower pastry. Seal by pressing together with fingers or fork.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange peel. Pour over apples in a bowl. Mix to coat apples well. Pour into pie crust. Sprinkle a little sugar and nutmeg on top pie crust before baking. Bake at 450ºF for 15 minutes. Lower temperature to 400ºF and bake for 30 to 45 minutes. It is done when apples are tender and bubbling and crust is light brown.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 400 (Calories from Fat 170), Total Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 45g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 290mg, Total Carbohydrate 55g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 26g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 2%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.