Fresh Sweet Cherry Cobbler
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Ready Time: 70 min
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 4 pints (about 8 cups) sweet cherries, washed, stemmed, and pitted, juice reserved
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 salt
- 1 1/3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream or ice cream (optional)
- HEAT oven to 400ºF.
- COMBINE cherries, reserved juice and almond extract in large bowl. Sprinkle brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt over cherry mixture; gently toss until well blended. Pour into a 9-inch square or 2-quart baking dish. Set aside.
- COMBINE flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and vanilla.
- STIR just until evenly moistened; do not overwork. Using a large spoon, drop the biscuit mixture onto the cherry mixture evenly.
- BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; allow to cool slightly. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 470 (Calories from Fat 80), Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 2.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 370mg, Total Carbohydrate 94g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 63g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 25%, Calcium 8%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.