Frosted Orange Chiffon Cake
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Ready Time: 105 min
- Yield: 12 servings
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 3/4 cups Pillsbury™ Softasilk® Enriched & Bleached Cake Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/3 cup orange juice plus more as needed
- HEAT oven to 350º F. Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- BEAT egg whites with 1/3 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until thick and glossy but not stiff. Transfer to another bowl.
- COMBINE cake flour, remaining 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add orange peel, orange juice, milk, oil and egg yolks. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bottom and sides of bowl often. Fold egg whites into batter until well blended. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until center springs back when touched lightly and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- BEAT powdered sugar, shortening and orange peel in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add orange juice gradually, beating until desired consistency. Add more juice as needed.
- PLACE one cake layer top side down onto serving dish. Spread top of with frosting. Top with second layer. Frost sides and top of cake.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 460 (Calories from Fat 130), Total Fat 15g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 35mg, Sodium 330mg, Total Carbohydrate 80g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 62g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 8%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.