Fruit-Filled Pecan Meringue Bars
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Ready Time: 90 min
- Yield: 32 bars
- 3/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 3/4 cup Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Smucker's® Apricot Preserves, or Red Raspberry Preserves
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- HEAT oven to 350ºF.
- BLEND shortening and extracts in medium bowl. Add sugar gradually while beating. Beat in egg. Blend in flour and salt. Spread dough evenly in an ungreased 11 x 7-inch pan. Bake 20 minutes.
- REMOVE from oven. Spread preserves over baked layer. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a rack while preparing topping.
- BEAT egg whites and salt until stiff, not dry, peaks form. Add sugar gradually while beating. Fold in pecans. Spread topping carefully and evenly over preserves.
- BAKE 15 to 20 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool before cutting into bars or squares.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 bar, 1/32 of recipe), Calories 140 (Calories from Fat 60), Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 100mg, Total Carbohydrate 19g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 13g), Protein 1g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.