- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Ready Time: 60 min
- Yield: 18 to 20 empanadas
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2/3 cup Smucker's® Mango Jam, or any flavor Smucker's jam or preserves
- 3 cups Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- COMBINE flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, lemon peel and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until fine crumbs form. Beat water and egg in measuring cup. Stir in vinegar. Mix into dry ingredients with fork until evenly moistened.
- ROLL out half of dough at a time on lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with 3 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Place heaping teaspoon of preserves in center of rounds. Moisten edges of dough with water. Fold in half. Seal edges by pressing closed with fork.
- HEAT oil in 3-quart saucepan to 375°F. Fry 2 or 3 empanadas at a time for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown, turning several times. Drain on paper towels. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in shallow bowl. Roll warm empanada in cinnamon sugar mixture.
- TIP To bake in oven, heat oven to 375°F. Place filled empanadas on cookie sheet. Brush with milk. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake 16 to 20 minutes or until light brown. Remove to wire rack to cool.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 empanada of 18), Calories 270 (Calories from Fat 170), Total Fat 20g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 70mg, Total Carbohydrate 23g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 11g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.