Harvest Moon Cake
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 9 to 12 servings
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin puree or canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups Pillsbury™ Softasilk® Enriched & Bleached Cake Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Coat an 8-inch square cake pan with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- BEAT sugar, shortening and eggs in large bowl on medium speed of an electic mixer until creamy. Mix in pumpkin and salt. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in small bowl. Add to pumpkin mixture gradually, beating at low speed after each addition just until mixed. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. Invert cake on wire rack. Turn cake top side up. Cool completely. Place cake on serving plate.
- BEAT maple syrup, shortening, butter and salt in medium bowl with fork until blended. Mix in powdered sugar gradually, beating with spoon until creamy. Frost top of cake. Sprinkle with additional chocolate chips.
- TIP *Add 2 tablespoons water to pumpkin if using canned pumpkin.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/9 of cake), Calories 460 (Calories from Fat 270), Total Fat 30g (Saturated Fat 12g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 60mg, Sodium 310mg, Total Carbohydrate 46g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 23g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 80%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.