Hash-Brown Crusted Chicken Breasts
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 11 min
- Ready Time: 45 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- OR 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- OR 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour, divided
- 2 or 3 Idaho or russet potatoes, peeled (do not use frozen shredded potatoes)
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, for frying
- PLACE chicken breasts 3 inches apart between two sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper. Pound to even thickness of 1/4-inch. Rub chicken with garlic. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and thyme.
- PUREE onion, eggs and 1/2 cup flour in blender or food processor fitted with steel blade. Shred potatoes using large holes of box grater or with food processor coarse shredding disk. Add potatoes to onion mixture. Season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- POUR 1 1/2 inches oil into 10 or 12-inch skillet. Heat oil to 375ºF. Dust chicken breasts with remaining 1/2 cup flour. Shake off any excess. Coat both sides of chicken with 1/4-inch of potato mixture. Slide chicken gently into oil using wide spatula.
- FRY 5 to 6 minutes, or until bottom is brown. Turn gently with spatula. Cook until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Remove from pan. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.
- TIP Chicken breasts can be pounded and seasoned up to 1 day in advance and refrigerated, tightly covered with plastic wrap. The potato mixture can be made up to 3 hours in advance. Refrigerate with sheet of plastic wrap pushed directly onto surface to prevent discoloration.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 chicken breast), Calories 620 (Calories from Fat 240), Total Fat 27g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 180mg, Sodium 540mg, Total Carbohydrate 58g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 3g), Protein 36g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 25%, Calcium 6%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.