Hearts and Flowers Reception Cake
- Prep Time: 85 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 205 min
- Yield: 25 servings
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 2 packages Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme® Classic Yellow Premium Cake Mix
- OR 2 packages Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme® Classic White Premium Cake Mix
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Decorating bag and tips
- HEAT oven to 325°F. Spray one 9-inch square pan and one 9-inch round cake pan with flour no-stick cooking spray. Line each pan with waxed paper and spray again. Combine 1 package cake mix, 1 1/4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons oil and 1 egg in large bowl at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Pour half of batter into each prepared pan.
- BAKE 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes; carefully remove cake from pans. Remove waxed paper from cakes; cool completely. Repeat with second cake mix, remaining water, oil and egg. Trim 1 1/2 inches evenly from sides of 1 cooled square cake and 1 cooled round cake. (Store cake trimmings in covered container for later use as desired).
- BEAT shortening and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add salt and vanilla. Beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, scraping bottom and sides of bowl frequently. Beat in lemon juice and enough milk for desired spreading consistency. Reserve 2 cups frosting for piping. Add lemon peel to remaining frosting; beat at high speed until light and fluffy.
- COVER 18 x 14-inch rectangle or heart-shaped heavy cardboard with foil or colored paper. Cut each round cake in half to form 2 semi-circles. To form heart, place cut sides of untrimmed round cake halves against sides of untrimmed square cake. Spread top evenly with 1/2 cup frosting.
- ARRANGE trimmed square cake and 2 trimmed round cake halves over first layer, making sure second layer is centered evenly over first layer. Frost sides and top of cake. Using reserved frosting, decorating bag and writing tip, pipe small dots randomly on sides and top of cake. Using shell or star tip, pipe rope design around edge of layers. Garnish as desired.
High Altitude (above 3500 ft.):
- ADD 2 tablespoons flour to each package of dry cake mix. Bake as directed above.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/25 of cake), Calories 360 (Calories from Fat 140), Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 25mg, Sodium 280mg, Total Carbohydrate 54g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 28g), Protein 1g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 4%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.