Honey Walnut Cake
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 48 min
- Ready Time: 90 min
- Yield: 12 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 3/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 3/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped medium fine
- 1 cup hot water
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional), if desired
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 1/4 cups chopped walnuts
- HEAT oven to 325ºF. Spray a 12 x 8 x 1 3/4-inch baking dish with no-stick cooking spray.
- BEAT shortening and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until well mixed. Add egg; beat until light and fluffy.
- COMBINE flour, baking soda, salt and spices in medium bowl. Add to shortening mixture, blending well. Blend in honey, walnuts and hot water. Dough will be very stiff. Turn into prepared dish.
- BAKE 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Set oven to BROIL.
- BLEND butter, honey and walnuts for topping. Spoon topping over hot cake; spread evenly.
- PLACE cake 8 inches from broiler. Broil just until bubbly and lightly browned, about 2 minutes (watch carefully to avoid scorching).
- SERVE warm or cold, topped with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 530 (Calories from Fat 270), Total Fat 30g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 35mg, Sodium 400mg, Total Carbohydrate 64g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 42g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.