Irish Soda Bread
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 75 min
- Ready Time: 150 min
- Yield: 1 loaf
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 5 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, cut into cubes, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups raisins
- 2-3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Generously spray a 10-inch round, heavy ovenproof skillet with no-stick cooking spray.
- WHISK together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in an extra-large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in raisins and caraway seeds.
- WHISK buttermilk and egg in medium bowl until blended. Using a wooden spoon, stir into flour mixture just until incorporated (dough will be very sticky).
- TRANSFER dough to prepared skillet. Smooth top, mounding slightly in center. Using small sharp knife dipped into flour, cut 1-inch deep "X" in top center of dough.
- BAKE 1 hour 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- COOL bread in skillet 10 minutes. Remove from skillet and cool completely on wire rack. Store tightly wrapped in foil at room temperature.
- TIP This bread tastes great toasted and served with your favorite Smucker's® Jam, Jelly or Preserves.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice of 24), Calories 230 (Calories from Fat 45), Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 290mg, Total Carbohydrate 43g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 20g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 8%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.