Italian Cream Cake
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Ready Time: 180 min
- Yield: 12 to 15 servings
- Pillsbury Baking Spray with Flour
- 1 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut (4 oz.)
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut, if desired
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, if desired
- For Cake: HEAT oven to 350ºF. Spray three 9-inch round cake pans with baking spray with flour. Beat shortening in large bowl at medium speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time; beat until blended after each addition. Add vanilla; beat until blended.
- COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt; stir well. Add to shortening mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in coconut and pecans.
- BEAT egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared baking pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- For Frosting: MIX cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and butter in large bowl at low speed of electric mixer until ingredients are well combined. Beat at high speed until light and fluffy. Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish top of cake, if desired, with coconut and pecans and sprinkle coconut around bottom of cake. Chill several hours or until serving time.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 1090 (Calories from Fat 500), Total Fat 55g (Saturated Fat 24g, Trans Fat 0.5g), Cholesterol 160mg, Sodium 490mg, Total Carbohydrate 142g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 121g), Protein 10g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 10%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.