Jack Cheese and Poblano Scones
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Ready Time: 60 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon Crisco® Light Tasting Olive Oil
- 2 poblano peppers, coarsely chopped
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon milk or water
- Sea salt
- Chili powder
- HEAT oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add poblano pepper and saute 6 minutes or until tender. Cool completely.
- HEAT oven to 375°F. Coat baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening until pea-sized crumbs form. Whisk egg yolk and cream in small bowl until blended. Add to flour mixture. Stir just until a dough forms. Knead in peppers and cheese.
- ROLL dough into a ball. Pat into an 8-inch circle, 1-inch thich thick. Cut into 8 wedges. Place on prepared baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- COMBINE egg white and milk in small cup; beat with fork until frothy. Brush over tops of scones. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake 15 to 19 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Sprinkle each scone with 1/2 tablespoon remaining Monterey Jack cheese and chili powder. Return to oven and bake 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Remove from baking sheet to wire rack to cool completely.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 scone of 8), Calories 360 (Calories from Fat 210), Total Fat 23g (Saturated Fat 10g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 500mg, Total Carbohydrate 28g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 2g), Protein 9g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 45%, Calcium 25%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.