Lady Baltimore Cake with Mocha Frosting
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 180 min
- Yield: 12 to 15 servings
- Pillsbury® Baking Spray with Flour
- 2 3/4 cups Pillsbury® Softasilk® Enriched & Bleached Cake Flour
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups milk, divided
- 2/3 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 2/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
COCOA MOCHA FROSTING
- 3/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 3/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tbsps. strong brewed Folgers Classic Roast® Coffee, *
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans or almonds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Smucker's® Simply Fruit® Orange Marmalade Spreadable Fruit
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Coat two round 9-inch cake pans with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup milk and shortening. Blend with electric mixer at low speed. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Add eggs, 1/3 cup milk and vanilla. Beat 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in pans on racks. Remove from pans to cool completely.
- BEAT shortening, vanilla, salt and cocoa. Add powdered sugar and coffee alternately, beating until smooth.
- PLACE 1 cake layer, rounded side down, on serving plate. Stir together 2/3 cup frosting with raisins, pecans and marmalade. Spread on top of layer. Top with second layer, rounded side up. Frost sides and top of cake with remaining frosting.
- TIP *To make 1 cup strong brewed coffee: Measure 1/3 cup Folgers Classic Roast ground coffee and 1 1/3 cup cold water into a drip coffeemaker.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 650 (Calories from Fat 220), Total Fat 25g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 510mg, Total Carbohydrate 101g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 78g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 15%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.