Layered Fruit Bars
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Ready Time: 90 min
- Yield: 16 bars
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1/2 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 1 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rolled oats, quick or old fashioned
- 3/4 cup Smucker's® Strawberry Preserves
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Spray 8-inch square baking pan with no-stick cooking spray. Beat shortening, brown sugar, water and almond extract in mixing bowl at medium speed of electric mixer until until light and fluffy. Mix in flour, baking powder, salt and oats until mixture is crumbly. Reserve 1/2 cup for topping. Press remaining mixture evenly into prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes.
- SPOON preserves evenly over baked crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb topping. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly. Cool. Cut into 16 bars.
- CREAM CHEESE: Omit strawberry preserves. Blend 8 oz. cream cheese, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, 1 egg and 1/2 cup sugar in medium bowl until smooth. Spread over prebaked crust. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until filling is set.
- PINEAPPLE-COCONUT: Omit strawberry preserves. Combine 1 (8 1/4 oz.) can crushed pineapple, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp. cornstarch in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. Stir in 2 tbsp. chopped pecans, 1/4 cup flaked coconut and 1/2 tsp. lemon juice. Spread over prebaked crust. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- TIP For perfectly cut cookie bars, line entire pan with foil extending foil over edge of pan. Coat lightly with no-stick cooking spray. After bars have baked and cooled, lift up with edges of foil to remove from pan. Cut into individual bars.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 bar of 16), Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 60), Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 55mg, Total Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 23g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.