Leek and Mushroom Pie
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 70 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- Double crust Classic Crisco® Pie Crust
- 8 leeks (about 3 lbs. or enough to make 8 cups), halved lengthwise, washed, patted dry
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup PET® Evaporated Milk, plus 2 teaspoons for top of crust
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- PREPARE recipe for double crust pie, using a 9-inch pie plate. Roll out dough for bottom crust and place in pie plate according to recipe directions. Heat oven to 425°F.
- REMOVE green parts of leeks. Chop white parts coarsely to measure about 8 cups. Melt shortening in large skillet. Add chopped leeks. Cook and stir 5 minutes. Add mushrooms. Cook and stir an additional 5 minutes.
- ADD evaporated milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Spoon into unbaked pie crust. Moisten pastry edge with water.
- ROLL out dough for top crust, place onto filled pie and finish edges according to pie crust recipe directions. Cut slits in top crust or prick with fork to vent steam. Brush with 2 teaspoons evaporated milk, if desired.
- BAKE 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 410 (Calories from Fat 230), Total Fat 26g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 610mg, Total Carbohydrate 39g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 5g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%, Vitamin C 20%, Calcium 8%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.