Little Red Barn Cake
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 150 min
- Yield: 12 to 15 servings
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 1 package Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme® White Premium Cake Mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 (16 oz.) cans Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Vanilla Flavored Frosting
- 1 to 2 teaspoons paste red food coloring
- 1 to 2 drops green food coloring
- 3 rectangular buttery crackers
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray a 13x9-inch pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- PREPARE cake mix as directed on package, using water, oil and eggs. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- BAKE 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- COOL cake on wire rack 5 minutes. Cover second wire rack with cloth towel. Run knife around sides of cake to loosen from pan. Place another sheet of wax paper on top of cake. Invert cake onto covered rack. Cool 45 minutes or until completely cooled. For easier handling, freeze 30 minutes or until very firm.
- CUT 15 x 12-inch piece of sturdy cardboard. Cover with heavy-duty foil. Invert cake onto cutting surface. Remove wax paper. Cut roof line and around silo (see photo). Carefully transfer cake to foil-covered cardboard. Tuck strips of wax paper under edges of cake to keep foil surface clean.
- TINT 1 can of frosting with red food coloring to desired shade. Frost barn and silo except for upper rounded section. Place 2 crackers side-by-side on barn for doors. Place 1 cracker under peak of barn for window; press into frosting.
- SPOON about 1/2 cup untinted frosting into decorating bag fitted with small star tip. Pipe along edge of roof. Fill in top rounded section of silo. Pipe around crackers for doors and under cracker for window.
- TINT 1/4 cup frosting with green food coloring. From cake scraps, cut 3-inch-tall by 1/2-inch-deep triangle to represent pine tree. Frost with green frosting. Place on cake between barn and silo.
High Altitude (above 3500 ft.):
- SEE package for directions.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 560 (Calories from Fat 210), Total Fat 24g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 4.5g), Cholesterol 50mg, Sodium 450mg, Total Carbohydrate 85g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 67g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.