Louisiana Shrimp Creole Pie
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Ready Time: 75 min
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Double Crust Classic Crisco Pie Crust
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- 2 pounds small shrimp, peeled and deveined (or see variations below)
- HEAT oven to 350°F.
- PREPARE recipe for double crust pie, using a 9-inch pie plate. Roll out dough for bottom crust and place in pie plate according to recipe directions. Do not bake.
- MELT butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until light golden brown. Add onions, bell pepper, celery, parsley and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are very soft.
- ADD cream, salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning. Mix gently; reduce heat to low and cook 3 minutes. Add shrimp; cook just until tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Spoon filling into unbaked pie shell.
- ROLL out dough for top crust, place onto filled pie and finish edges according to pie crust recipe directions. Cut slits in top crust or prick with fork to vent steam.
- BAKE 30 to 40 minutes or until top is golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- TIP As a substitute for 2 pounds shrimp, try a combination of 1 pound shrimp, 1/2 pound scallops and 1 (10 oz.) can whole baby clams, or 2 pounds crawfish tail meat.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/4 of pie), Calories 1110 (Calories from Fat 620), Total Fat 69g (Saturated Fat 28g, Trans Fat 1g), Cholesterol 425mg, Sodium 2090mg, Total Carbohydrate 62g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 2g), Protein 55g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 35%, Vitamin C 50%, Calcium 20%, Iron 50%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.