Masa-Battered Fried Shrimp
Camarones Fritos con Masa
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 16 min
- Ready Time: 30 min
- Yield: 24 shrimp
- Crisco® Pure Canola Oil, for deep frying
- 3/4 cup white corn masa flour
- 1/4 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ancho or chipotle chile powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound large cooked shrimp with tails, about 24
- 1/2 cup prepared fire-roasted tomatillo or fresh tomato salsa
- HEAT corn oil, 2 to 3 inches deep in a deep fryer (375°F) or 4-quart saucepan.
- COMBINE masa flour, wheat flour, baking powder, chile powder, garlic powder and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk milk and egg in a small bowl. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir well. Batter should be the consistency of heavy cream. Thin batter with additional milk, if necessary.
- DIP shrimp in batter, holding it by the tail. Drain off excess. Fry a few shrimp at a time in hot oil, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden and heated through. Drain on paper towels. Serve with salsa.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 shrirmp of 24), Calories 70 (Calories from Fat 30), Total Fat 3g (Saturated Fat 0.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 50mg, Sodium 260mg, Total Carbohydrate 5g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 1g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.