Mexican Chocolate Cake with Mocha Glaze
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Ready Time: 70 min
- Yield: 12 servings
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup (6 oz. pkg) chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 2 tablespoons Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 teaspoon instant expresso powder
- OR 1 teaspoon Folgers Classic Roast® Instant Coffee Crystals
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray a 10-inch (12-cup) fluted tube pan with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- WHISK together sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- COMBINE buttermilk, shortening and cocoa powder in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until shortening melts. Pour over flour mixture. Whisk to combine. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE about 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely.
- COMBINE glaze ingredients in small saucepan over low heat. Cook and stir until melted and smooth. Drizzle warm glaze over cooled cake. Sprinkle with sliced almonds. Serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 530 (Calories from Fat 230), Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 40mg, Sodium 220mg, Total Carbohydrate 74g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 47g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 8%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.