Mexican Chocolate Cookies
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Ready Time: 105 min
- Yield: 2 1/2 dozen cookies
- 1 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground black pepper, or to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 tablespoons Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 7 tablespoons Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 large egg
- COMBINE flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, black pepper, cayenne and vanilla in large bowl. Add shortening to sugar mixture; cream together using electric mixer. Beat in egg. Add flour mixture. Beat on low speed just until incorporated.
- GATHER dough with hands and form into a 9 to 10-inch long round log. Wrap in waxed paper. Fold or twist ends of paper without pinching or flattening the log. Chill at least 45 minutes.
- PLACE oven racks in upper and lower third of oven. Heat oven to 350ºF. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- SLICE rounds of chilled dough a scant 1/4-inch thick using a sharp knife. Place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets.
- BAKE 12 to 14 minutes. Rotate baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back about halfway through.
- REMOVE cookies to wire rack to cool. Allow cookies to cool completely before storing or stacking. Store in an airtight container up to two weeks, or freeze up to 2 months
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 cookie), Calories 70 (Calories from Fat 30), Total Fat 3g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 35mg, Total Carbohydrate 11g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 7g), Protein 1g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.