Mini Berry Fry Pies
- Prep Time: 60 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Ready Time: 150 min
- Yield: 1 dozen
- 3 2/3 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, diced
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2/3 to 1 cup ice cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups fresh berry combination, such as blueberries, raspberries and blackberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- For Dough: COMBINE flour, sugar, cornstarch and salt in large bowl. Cut butter and shortening into flour mixture, using a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some small pea-sized pieces remaining.
- ADD 1/4 cup ice water and vinegar to flour mixture. Stir with fork. Add additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, just until dough holds together firmly when pressed into a ball. Flatten ball into round disk. Wrap dough in plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes.
- For Filling: WHISK water, 1 cup sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan until cornstarch is dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Simmer 1 minute, or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, lemon juice and vanilla until butter is melted. Fold in berries. Cool completely.
- HEAT 1 inch oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat to 350°F. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each on lightly floured surface into 5-inch circle. Brush edges with water. Spoon 1/4 cup berry mixture onto center of each circle. Fold dough in half to cover filling. Seal edges by pressing with fork.
- COOK in batches in hot oil 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown, turning halfway through cooking time. Drain on paper towels. Stir together cinnamon and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Sprinkle over fry pies. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 of 12 pies), Calories 440 (Calories from Fat 170), Total Fat 20g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 150mg, Total Carbohydrate 62g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 27g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 2%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.