Molasses Cream Spice Cake
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Ready Time: 90 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 2/3 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 2/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sliced canned pears, well drained
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans or walnuts*
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE shortening, sugar, molasses and pumpkin pie spice in large bowl; beat on high speed of electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, mixing only until blended after each addition. Turn batter into prepared pans.
- BAKE 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans on racks, remove from pans; cool completely on racks.
- PAT pear slices dry with paper towels.
- PLACE one cake layer top side down on serving dish. Spread top with 1 cup whipped topping. Arrange pear slices on whipped topping. Top with remaining cake layer; spread with remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- TIP *To toast nuts: Place in dry nonstick skillet; cook over medium heat, shaking pan until nuts are lightly browned.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of cake), Calories 540 (Calories from Fat 250), Total Fat 28g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 420mg, Total Carbohydrate 67g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 31g), Protein 8g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 15%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.